Thursday, September 20, 2012
Herbal Remedies for FertilityIf you and your partner are have difficulty conceiving, than you may be interested in looking into possible fertility treatments. There are a number of fertility treatments, including IUI and IVF that are highly effective when it comes to increasing your chances of conception. However, these treatments are very expensive and are often associated with a number of physical and emotional side effects. For this reason, more and more couples are turning to herbal remedies to help improve the
What are Herbal Remedies?An herbal remedy is a type of alternative medicine that originates from plants and plant extracts. Used to heal illnesses and disease and to address psychological concerns, herbal remedies have been around for centuries, and were the precursor to modern medicine. Herbal remedies are obtained from a wide variety of natural resources including plant leaves, bark, berries, flowers, and roots. Herbal medicine remains a popular alternative throughout China and the Far East, and is growing in popularity throughout the United States.
How Can Herbal Remedies Help Fertility?
Herbal remedies have long been used to address problems with fertility. In fact, evidence of the use of herbal remedies for female and male fertility dates all the way back to 200 A.D. These fertility herbal remedies are made out of special plants and plant extracts believed to have a positive effect on the reproductive organs, hormonal system, and sex drive. They are taken by men and women who wish to increase their chances of conception, as well as by couples that are facing fertility difficulties. Herbal remedies for fertility can help to address such fertility problems as:
- hormonal imbalance
- irregular menstruation
- erectile dysfunction
- sperm motility problems
Popular Herbal Remedies for FertilityIf you are considering taking herbal remedies for your fertility issues, here are a few popular choices to begin with:
Female Fertility Remedies:
There are a variety of different herbal remedies available to help increase female fertility levels. Common herbs for female fertility include:
- Red Clover: Red clover is one of the most popular fertility remedies. High in vitamins, calcium, and magnesium, red clover helps to nourish the uterus and relax the nervous system, enabling conception. It is taken as a tea, daily.
- Raspberry Leaf: Raspberry leaf is high in calcium and therefore works to restore hormonal balance. It is excellent when taken alongside red clover.
- Lady's Mantle: This herb assists in building up the uterine lining and regulating menstruation. It is meant to be drunk as a tincture, once a day.
- False Unicorn Root: False unicorn root not only restores hormonal balance in women, but it also helps to stimulate the ovaries and encourage ovulation.
- Stinging Nettle: Stinging nettle contains high levels of chlorophyll and minerals, which helps to regulate the body's hormones as well as ovulation and menstruation. It is taken as a tea once daily.
There are a few herbal remedies that are designed to target male fertility issues. Popular remedies include:
- Astralagus: Astralagus has long been used to treat male infertility. It is thought to improve conception rates by improving sperm motility and concentration.
- Panax Ginseng: Also known as Chinese or Korean ginseng, panax ginseng is a popular infertility remedy in traditional Chinese medicine. It is believed to increase firmness and length of an erection, as well as increase testosterone levels, sperm count, and sperm motility.
Do Herbal Remedies Improve Fertility?Many traditional western doctors avoid treating their patients with herbal remedies because of the absence of conclusive data regarding the effectiveness of these herbs. However, as more and more clinical data regarding these treatments appears, herbal fertility remedies are gaining in popularity throughout the United States.
Recently the University of Surrey revealed data suggesting that herbal remedies and non-traditional supplements could greatly increase your chances of conceiving. The study, which involved dozens of couples with past histories of infertility, administered vitamins, minerals, and herbal remedies to a group of participants. The group who took these supplements had a staggering 80% conception rate compared with the control group, which had only a 20% conception rate.
There is also some data regarding the effectiveness of individual fertility herbs, including panax ginseng and red clover. However, these studies are quite small and need to be followed up to provide more conclusive evidence as to the effectiveness of individual herbs.
Are Fertility Herbs Safe?
Even though they are touted as "all-natural," herbal remedies need to be taken with great caution. Like traditional medications, herbal remedies can cause a number of changes in the body. When taken with other herbs, prescription medications, or over-the-counter drugs, these medicinal herbs can have staggering effects.
In fact, natural herbal remedies have been known to cause serious side effects including heart attacks, strokes, and seizures. This makes it extremely important that you consult your health care provider before taking any herbal remedy for your fertility. Additionally, only take herbal remedies that are suggested by a qualified herbalist or alternative medicine practitioner. Follow all instructions exactly and report any side effects to your physician as soon as possible.